Taliban and Afghan forces clash as the US hands over the base;
Taliban and Afghan forces clash as the US hands over the base. Fighting between Afghan government troops and the Taliban has killed more than 100 militants in the last 24 hours. According to the Defense Ministry, which seized control of a US military base in a province on Sunday. A day after formally beginning to withdraw its remaining troops from Afghanistan. Moreover, The US military handed over Camp Antonik in the southern province of Helmand to Afghan forces. According to the ministry, Taliban and government forces clashed in many provinces. Including Kandahar, a former rebel stronghold where the US military carried out a “precision attack” on Saturday as it started the final withdrawal.
The clashes have wounded 52 other Taliban fighters. Which did not provide information on government forces’ casualties. The Taliban has not reported on the battle, although both sides are known to exaggerate their casualties. Fighting on the ground has raged on in recent months. As peace talks to resolve the 20-year crisis have stalled. On Saturday, the United States military began withdrawing its remaining 2,500 soldiers from the war-torn region. As President Joe Biden had requested last month. According to Afghan officials, all foreign troops have taken to Bagram, the largest US base in Afghanistan, and would then depart for their respective countries.
Biden declared in April that the last 2,500 US troops would withdraw ;
The US military handed over Camp Antonik in Helmand to Afghan troops as part of the continuing withdrawal. However, The Afghanistan Department of Defense released photos of the handover ceremony. Which include US soldiers lowering the US flag at the base and Afghan soldiers hoisting the national flag. Since signing a historic agreement with the Taliban last year that paved the way for the removal of foreign troops. The US military has handed over many bases to Afghan forces. The pact negotiated in February 2020 under the administration of former President Donald Trump. Biden declared in April that the last 2,500 US troops would withdraw before the 20th anniversary of the September 11 attacks. However, he stated that their withdrawal would begin on May 1.
As the formal withdrawal began on Saturday. Hence, The US military said it conducted a precision strike after an airfield in Kandahar. Where it has a base, it “received unsuccessful indirect fire” that did not do any harm. The assault on the Kandahar base has not reported by any faction. In theory, this opens the way for our mujahedin to take effective actions against the occupying forces.” Mohammad Naeem, a Taliban spokesperson, told AFP. The group has pending instructions from its representatives on its future action plan.